At The Podiatry Center, our Bethesda, MD podiatrist wants to make sure that runners and joggers are prepared to avoid injuries and other maladies that may arise when you begin an exercise program or are training for a marathon. Some of the most common foot problems associated with jogging or running that your podiatrist in Bethesda, MD treats include blisters, corns, calluses, athlete's foot, shin splints, achilles tendonitis, and plantar fasciitis. Most can be avoided with proper foot hygiene; clean socks, dry & powdered feet, proper fitting shoes. Award-winning Bethesda, MD podiatrist, Dr. Paul Ross, DPM, recommends several tips for runners to keep in mind this summer to help prevent the most common injuries.
- Choose proper fitting running shoes – Your Bethesda podiatrist encourages you to shop at a shoe store that caters to runners and joggers, from professionals trained to know exactly what types of running/jogging shoes you’ll need. Be sure your shoes are not to tight, not to loose, to help prevent toe deformities, blisters, or bunions. And be sure to replace your shoes at regular intervals; you’re sales person can inform you of the proper mileage your shoes may be expected to attain.
- Warm up & and stretch - Proper stretching and warm ups prime the muscles and ligaments and tendons for exercise. Cold, stiff muscles are more likely to get hurt, so warm up for five minutes and then stretch, paying special attention to the calves, hamstrings, quads and feet.
- Progress slowly into your routine - Take it slow to begin with, as too much too soon may lead to stressed feet and muscles.
- Mix up your exercise routine - Consider swimming, cycling, or other cardio activities, to decrease the risk of injuries from hitting the trails or pavement and help to contribute to your overall health.
- Visit Dr. Ross at The Podiatry Center - We can help get rid of corns and calluses, provide cortisone injections for heel spurs & more. If you’re already dealing with heel pain or arch pain, we may recommend proper custom orthotics, which are widely available over the counter.
Our podiatry office in Bethesda, MD is here for you before, during and after your training regime. While we ultimately hope to help you avoid injuries from running or jogging or training, we all know that no one can’t eliminate them. Dr. Ross and your Bethesda, MD podiatrists is here for you when you need him. If you have any questions, please request an appointment today.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our Bethesda, MD podiatry center would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Dr. Paul Ross - The Podiatry Center
Bethesda MD's Favorite Podiatrist Specializing In Heel Pain
Podiatrist, Dr. Ross and our Bethesda, MD podiatry office offers the most effective and state-of-the-art, highest quality podiatry care with a smile, to patients in our local community, including: Bethesda MD, Arlington VA, Fairfax VA, Burke VA, Gaithersburg MD, Potomac MD, Rockville MD, Chevy Chase MD, Springfield VA, Woodbridge VA, Annandale VA, Silver Spring MD and Alexandria VA.
Enjoy doing the things you love, pain-free! Your feet will thank you.