Summertime is the perfect time to throw on your sandals and just go! Feeling the sand between your toes and the warm summer air can prompt you to show off your unique foot style. While sandals are great for helping your feet breathe, it is important to properly care for your feet. Your foot doctor near Burke, VA suggest the following tips to ensure your feet are happy this season.
Tips For Your Foot Care This Summer
- Wear your sandals. Whether you are in your backyard, sharing a pool or showering at the community pool, it is basic good sense to cover the bottom of your feet to avoid injury. While swimming pools themselves are kept hygienic through the use of chlorine, the surrounding areas are not. Keeping a pair of sandals or flip flops handy will protect your feet from abrasions and even sunburns!
- Stay hydrated. Summer heat is no joking matter. The increase in temperature often leads to swelling and foot pain. To combat these commonly experienced conditions, it is important to stay hydrated. Keep water available to you at all times! If your swelling or discomfort persist, it may be time to seek an medical treatment.
- Treat injuries and bites immediately. If you do get injured, take the time to thoroughly clean and treat the area right away to reduce swelling and then treat the affected area with a topical antibiotic if it is a cut or scrape. You may need to put ice on your injury to reduce swelling and treat it with an antihistaimine. If the area becomes inflamed or very red, contact your Burke, VA foot doctor immediately.
- Remove rough skin and calluses. Walking around in bare feet and even wearing sandals can cause more rough skin or build calluses on your feet. To soften feet, you can use a pumice stone on rough areas after bathing or showering when skin is softer to gently exfoliate the rough, dry skin.
- Moisturize your feet daily. Moisturizers that are designed especially for feet will help keep skin soft and smooth during the summer. Swimming in the ocean or a chlorinated pool can leave your skin feeling dry. Be sure to use a moisturizer after bathing or right before bed to give it time to soak into your skin.
- Use sunscreen on your feet to prevent burning. Feet can burn similar to other parts of your skin even when you are wearing sandals. Use sunscreen when you go out during summer to prevent your feet from becoming lobster red.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
About The Podiatry Center
Favorite Foot Doctor Near Burke, VA, Specializing In Summer Foot Care
The Podiatry Center treats all medical and surgical foot pain and ankle pain conditions. Dr. Paul Ross, a licensed foot doctor near Burke, can help your feet this summer.
Our podiatry office near Burke, VA offers the most effective and state-of-the-art, quality podiatry care services with a smile to patients in our local community, including: Burke, VA, Rockville, MD, Bethesda, MD, Chevy Chase, MD, Woodbridge, VA, Annandale, VA, Arlington, VA, Alexandria, VA, Gaithersburg, MD, Potomac, MD, Silver Spring, MD and Springfield, VA.
Return to a pain-free life and get back to the things you love!